- 2-2.5kg beef bones (rib, bone marrow – you can buy these from Mac and wild Butcher)
- 2 large Spanish onions, unpeeled
- 1 whole head of garlic
- large bouquet garni of parsley and thyme
- 2 leeks, cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, cut into big chunks
- 3 celery sticks, including the leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place the bones in a large roasting tin.
- Cut the onions in half and add them to the tray with the bones. Cut the garlic in half across the middle and add to the pan. Roast the bones and vegetables in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- At this stage, add the leeks, carrots, celery, tomato paste and roast the bones and vegetables for a further 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large stockpot on the biggest hob ring. Fill with 4-5 litres of cold water (about two-thirds full) and bring the water up to simmering point.
- When the water is simmering and the bones are roasted, remove the bones, onions, garlic and vegetables from the oven and add them to the water, scraping in the browned bits from the tin.
- Add the bouquet garni.
- Gently simmer the stock, covered, for 4-6 hours, topping up with water if necessary. Four hours will give you a good strong stock to work with.
- At the end of cooking time, strain the stock of all solid ingredients and discard them.
- Your stock is ready to be used.