A zingy and moist lemon drizzle cake with icing. The perfect cake to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or to be enjoyed at anytime of the day.
This recipe can be done with any lemons but I would suggest to use unwaxed lemons to make this cake.The lemons offered at your local shop are looking great, yellow but unfortunately they are too small and with no flavour! Whereas if you purchase an unwaxed lemon, the difference of size, texture and taste is incomparable. They might b it a bit more pricey than the common lemon available at Tesco or even Sainsbury’s but the quality is needed to make this cake as everything is going to be about LEMON!
Read this article about waxed and unwaxed lemon.
To cook without lemon is difficult for me. I always used a zest of lemon or squeeze a few drops of lemon juice to lift the flavour of a dish.
Ingredients: For the cake: 200gr unsalted butter, 180gr caster sugar,180gr self raising flour, 3 eggs, zest and juice of 3 unwaxed lemons, a pinch of baking powder. For the icing: 100g of sugar, juice of one lemon
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, slowly mixing through
- Add the self-raising flour, then add the lemon zest and the juice of 2 lemons. Mix until well combined.
- Butter a loaf tin (8 x 21cm), then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
- Mix together the lemons juice and caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a knife, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool. Keep it in an airtight container for 3 days to assure its freshness.
MY LAST POST
It’s about Morocco Food Drinks Activities
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
This amazing BANANA BREAD recipe